Friday, May 26, 2006

well, I´m sitting here once again in my cybercafe, trying to see if this computer will even upload my pictures which I want to show you all. But I don´t think it´s cooperating...shoot. I forgot to bring all the installation software (which I didn´t think I needed).

I can at least tell you a little about the place where I´m living. I live in the U.S. Consulate in Nuevo Laredo...it´s air conditioned, and one of my coworkers loaned me a little 13 inch TV so I don´t get too bored when I can´t go out after 10pm, ha ha (the city isn´t exactly the safest place...I make smart decisions about when and where and with whom I go out, but I´d still appreciate prayers for that).

There is a 24-hour guard service at the consulate, so I defintely feel pretty safe there, ha ha...plus, it´s like having instant friends, almost like hallmates (but not really, since they don´t actually live in the consulate...plus, I can´t rump them like Hattie, Pearl, Sarah, Laura and Ashley :) But I think I will probably learn the most Spanish from talking to the guards (except that I can´t talk to them for that long...we got a security briefing yesterday where we were pretty much told not to do anything that would keep the guards from doing their job...it makes sense, but it´s kind of sad for me).

I went to a pretty awesome church in Laredo on Sunday that my boss goes too (a blessing!). Friendly people and good preaching from the Bible - it was something that I´m not sure I´d even really asked for (Kat, I think you knew, though :) I hope to be able to spend some time in the Mexican church that´s kitty corner from the consulate one of these days too, but I think that´ll be saved for later, when I can begin to hear and comprehend a sermon in Spanish at the same time (as opposed to hearing, and then having to later comprehend :)

I do really miss you guys as I make new discoveries here in NL. There´s a lot here that can remind me of home. I´d love to hear from you too, so please feel free to send emails (steincat@umich.edu) or send regular mail (it´s a U.S. mailing address, so it´s not any more expensive!!):

Cat Steiner
U.S. Consulate Nuevo Laredo
P.O. Box 3089
Laredo, TX 78044

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm catching up on reading...I'm so glad to hear how God is providing for you! :) Love you!
--Kat (the other one...)